inspenet - 752

Ecopetrol and Petrobras report gas discovery in deep Caribbean waters

By: Franyi Sarmiento, PhD, Inspenet, August 1, 2022

Ecopetrol and Petrobras confirmed the discovery of a natural gas accumulation in deep waters in the Colombian Caribbean. The discovery was made 32 km offshore and 76 km from the city of Santa Marta, with a water column of approximately 830 meters in the Uchuva-1 exploratory well.

The well was drilled in the Tayrona block, in which Petrobras is the operator with a 44.4% interest and Ecopetrol holds the remaining 55.6%.

This result is the result of the contractor’s actions to enhance the use of data through the application of new technological solutions in geology and geophysics, in addition to the experience in deepwater operations, said Ecopetrol.

The opening of this new frontier is aligned with Ecopetrol’s strategic pillar to maximize the value of its portfolio, with a focus on exploration of deepwater and ultra-deepwater assets, the company said in a statement.

This result increases the prospects for the development of a new exploration and production frontier in the northern Caribbean region of Colombia.

“This discovery is very significant for Ecopetrol and Colombia because it ratifies the importance of the Caribbean as one of the main sources of gas for our country. We are very pleased to open this new frontier in an area close to the Chuchupa-Ballenas project, gas fields that have marked the history of our offshore operations for four decades and have contributed significantly to the “gasification” of the country. This is great news for the more than 10 million Colombian families who now use gas in their daily lives,” said Felipe Bayón, president of Ecopetrol.

The contractor will continue the activities in the Tayrona Block with the objective of validating the dimensions of the new gas accumulation.

This material from the ValoraAnalitik portal was edited for clarity, style and length.


Share this news on your social networks

Related news